Join Fr Alan Gyle on our pilgrimage to Chartres – the first of two foreign pilgrimages to sites of some of the most distinguished stained glass in Europe.
Each day (starting with welcome drinks on Monday evening) will include a time of prayer, some study and learning together, a visit to the Cathedral and Stained Glass Institute nearby, and time for self-guided exploration, rest or leisure activities. Each evening we will eat together. Some may wish to extend their visit to see notable stained glass in Paris.
Arrivals and departures:
- We will start on Monday evening (20th May) with a drinks reception before dinner together.
- We will end with lunch together on Thursday (23rd May).
- Some will plan to extend their trip to visit Paris and/or the Loire Valley.
- You will arrange and pay for your own travel and accommodation.
- We will eat together each evening. To make things simple, the bill will be paid each evening on your behalf and at the end of the trip the costs will be divided equitably between the participants ‘at cost’. We have done this for years and it works very well! You can expect your ‘mess bill’ on return to London.
- The charge for participation on the retreat is £95. This covers all the costs of preparation, materials, a Guided Tour of the Cathedral and access to the Stained Glass Institute and the assistance of a local guide.
Click ‘Register Now’ to sign-up and pay registration fee.
There are two basic strategies, either by Air or by Train.
- Flights are available with BA from London City Airport to Paris Orly – and the 08:30 flight out on the Monday morning would be an admirable choice. Connections from Orly to Chartres can be found online. You can travel by coach/train (into Paris Montparnasse on the Line 1 Coach and then out from Montparnasse to Chartres by SNCF) or you could share a taxi and travel direct (c. 1h which will cost c.£100 or £25 if four share).
- Trains are available from London St Pancras International to Gare du Nord, and then from Gare Montparnasse to Chartres (1h.15)