Join us for the second of two foreign retreats to sites of some of the most distinguished stained glass in Europe, led by Roland Brunner and Fr Alan Gyle.
This trip will focus on the late 11th century glass in Augsburg, together with an introduction to the Lutheran tradition in nearby Ingolstadt. Each day (starting with welcome drinks on Friday at lunchtime) will include a time of prayer, some study and learning together, a visit to the Augsburg Cathedral to see the oldest stained glass in Germany, and time for self-guided exploration, rest or leisure activities. Each evening we will eat together.
As with all our trips we invite you to book your own transport (flights to Munich Airport and onwards by train/coach) and accommodation in Ingolstadt, where we will be based.
Arrivals and departures:
- We will start on Friday morning (11th October)
- We will end with lunch together on Sunday (13th October).
- You will arrange and pay for your own travel and accommodation in Ingolstadt (suggestions below).
- We will eat together each evening. To make things simple, the bill will be paid each evening on your behalf and at the end of the trip the costs will be divided equitably between the participants ‘at cost’. We have done this for years and it works very well! You can expect your ‘mess bill’ on return to London.
- The charge for participation on the retreat is £80. This covers all the costs of preparation, materials, return travel from Ingolstadt to Augsburg and a Guided Tour of the Cathedral.
- Flights are available with BA, Swiss and Lufthansa from London Heathrow Airport to Munich and from other London airports with Easyjet. We will – ideally – fly out on the afternoon/evening of Thursday 10th October in order to be able to make the most of Friday and to have a walking tour of Ingolstadt on the morning of Friday 11th; for those who cannot fly until the Friday, taking one of the first (eye-wateringly early) planes from either Gatwick or Heathrow will get you to Ingolstadt in time for the full programme which will begin at lunchtime on Friday 11th
- We will end after lunch on Sunday 13th, allowing for return coach travel to Munich Airport and then a late-afternoon or early evening flight back to London.
- You may, of course, extend your stay, ad lib.
- Connections from Munich to Ingolstadt are by regular public coach service (journey c.1h).
- Hotel Rappensberger, Ingolstadt (click for website). We have a number of rooms reserved with a special rate. Please mention Roland Brunner’s name when booking.
- There are also options in Ingolstadt on Booking.com